Monday, December 12, 2011

The Paradox of the Word - Teth - Psalm 119:65-72


Teth (Verses 65-72)

The letter teth was patterned on two rolls, curves, or snakes and may look like something that is twisted or knotted together. It represents the paradox of good and evil, such as how a person could choose to respond to God or circumstances in a good or evil way. The word teth means”to stand up or bow down”, in reference to a relationship with God.

65 Do good to your servant
     according to your word, Lord.
66 Teach me knowledge and good judgment,
     for I trust your commands.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray,
     but now I obey your word.
68 You are good, and what you do is good;
     teach me your decrees.
69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies,
     I keep your precepts with all my heart.
70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling,
     but I delight in your law.
71 It was good for me to be afflicted
     so that I might learn your decrees.
72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me
     than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.
The very nature of God’s Word creates a paradox. The Word of God is holy and good, and yet it can benefit both the obedient and the disobedient – both the blessed and the afflicted. The psalmist recounts his experience of this principle in verses 67 and 71 when he says,
"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word… It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."
The Word of God speaks to all people, but the results depend on each individual’s heart. Some hearts are calloused and unfeeling, but the psalmist’s heart was soft and responded with delight to God’s Word (70). Likewise, affliction draws some toward a desire for the Truth; yet for others, affliction releases bitterness and the arrogance of their heart (69). Although confusing, all of this is good because it provides the opportunity to learn what God is teaching (68). For those who respond positively to the Truth, there will be benefits more “precious… than thousands of pieces of silver and gold” (72).



Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: