Some of the quotes from the Associated Press article:
- “Mainline Protestant churches are in decline”
- “The United States is 78 percent Christian and about to lose its status as a majority Protestant nation, at 51 percent and slipping”
- “More than one-quarter of American adults have left the faith of their childhood for another religion or no religion at all.”
- “One in four adults ages 18 to 29 claim no affiliation with a religious institution.”
- “Atheists or agnostics account for 4 percent of the total population.”
0.7 percent of those surveyed are Buddhist.
“Jews accounted for 1.7 percent of the overall population.”
Now we crunch the numbers. Despite the trend and the media’s headlines, 51% of our population is Christian Protestants. Compare this 51% with 4% atheists AND agnostics, less than 1% Muslim and 0.7% Buddhists. Score: Protestants 51 Others 5.7!
In a tournament game that is a blowout!! I know enough about coaching to realize that 51-6 is not as good as 81-3 but I’d still rather take the Protestant team back to the locker room at half time or to the gym for tomorrow’s practice than the atheists and Muslims. The media could have ran a headline on the front page that read:
- “Protestants Still Dominate US Religion”
- “Protestant Major US Religion”
- “Only 3% of US is Atheist or Muslim”
- I do not like the church I grew up with and am going to look for a better church (19%)
- I do not think the religion I grew up with is worth continuing so I am switching religions or I am giving up on religion all together (25%)
Surely, if people are leaving a religion, that must mean they are not satisfied. If they are not satisfied that means a good portion of them are still looking for something. And if they are still looking that must mean some of them believe there is something to find. And if that something can be found it must be something that is real with some absolute value. I believe they are looking for reality. Christianity calls it Truth.
The basic game has not changed. The rules, the players and the contest are the same.
People always have free will. People are always faced with many emotions, desires and distractions as they move through life. The goal of life has always been to use wisdom and experience to sort through emotions, desires and distractions. Then each person must establish in their soul the correct values, priorities and morals. This becomes their base of operation. Ultimately, victory is living in agreement with the Truth. Truth is the eternal Reality. Since there is an absolute Truth and there is eternal Reality, it is very, very possible to choose poorly and to lose this game of life. Final Score: the loss of your soul.