Monday, December 5, 2011

Continue in Word - Beth - Psalm 119:9-16

Beth (Verses 9-16)

The letter beth is a symbol for a house or a tent, and means “house”. It represents being in God’s will by creating the image of a home with a wife and kids, or of the house of God, which is the Temple. In other words, we find the Word and we live there. We hear (“I have hidden”), understand (“teach me”) and continue in God’s Word (“I rejoice…I meditate…I delight”).
9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
   that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.
The conflict of verses 9-16 is the writer’s desire to avoid sin – to not stray, but remain pure (1-3). The solution is fivefold:
  1. Take in – or hear – the Word of God (“hidden your word in my heart” – 11)
  2. Understand the Word of God that was taught (“teach me your decrees” – 12)
  3. Speak the Word of God that is understood (“with my lips I recount all the laws” – 13)
  4. Follow and do the Word of God (“I rejoice in following your statutes” – 14)
  5. Continue in the Word of God that you already know (“I meditate on your precepts” – 15)



Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: