Friday, December 9, 2011

The Dependable Word of God - Waw - Psalm 119:41-48


Waw (Verses 41-48)

The letter waw is an image of a hook, a nail, or a peg. It symbolizes the hooks of silver fastened to posts that held the curtains of the tabernacle and other tents in place. The letter waw represents something you depend on, such as the Word of God. In these verses, the psalmist focuses on how he can trust God’s Word. Since he can depend on it to be true, he will speak of God’s Word even before kings. The psalmist, like the Apostle Paul, knows that he will never be ashamed or let down by God’s Word (Romans 1:16) because the Word of God has the power to do what it claims to be able to do.

41 May your unfailing love come to me, Lord,
     your salvation, according to your promise;
42 then I can answer anyone who taunts me,
     for I trust in your word.
43 Never take your word of truth from my mouth,
     for I have put my hope in your laws.
44 I will always obey your law,
     for ever and ever.
45 I will walk about in freedom,
     for I have sought out your precepts.
46 I will speak of your statutes before kings
     and will not be put to shame,
47 for I delight in your commands
     because I love them.
48 I reach out for your commands, which I love,
     that I may meditate on your decrees.
God’s Word tells us of the salvation that comes from God (which is also called the “unfailing love” of God’s covenant). It appears that the psalmist is enduring the “taunts” of men for having trusted in the promise of salvation found in God’s Word. Still, he fully counts on experiencing that salvation. He says with Paul, I “will not be put to shame”. Because he has sought God’s Truth, the psalmist knows the Truth and “will walk about in freedom”. Jesus said the same thing when he promised: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).



Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the enlightenment on these verses. Excellent commentary.