Heth (Verses 57-64)
57 You are my portion, Lord;The Lord is the portion (57) located inside the parameters of the wall of protection provided by the Truth. The psalmist promises to stay inside these parameters and obey God’s Word. God’s statues (the Word) are the steppingstones that guide the writer (59). Even if the wicked physically restrain him he will not forget God’s law (61). Everyone who fears the Lord and follows his Word is within the same enclosure, or sphere of protection and fellowship, as the psalmist, and so is considered his friend (63). The entire earth is enclosed with God’s Word (64), so there is nowhere anyone can go that God has not already established his Truth and reality. The wicked may bind this writer (61), but God’s word is there to provide a greater hedge of protection for him since he:
I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways
and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.
61 the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
1. Has made the Lord his portion (57)
2. Has promised to obey God’s Word (57)
3. Has sought God’s face with all the understanding of his inner being (58)
4. Has analyzed his lifestyle and adjusted it to correspond to God’s statutes (59)
5. Does not delay in obeying God’s commands (60)
6. Refuses to forget God’s law in the face of physical opposition (61)
7. Desires to be taught the decrees of God (64)