Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Hand of God in the Word of God - Yodh - Psalm 119:73-80


Yodh (Verses 73-80)

Yodh is a symbol of a cupped or bent hand. The image may also be of a closed fist or a hand that is holding something. It indicates power or guidance.
73 Your hands made me and formed me;
     give me understanding to learn your commands.
74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me,
     for I have put my hope in your word.
75 I know, Lord, that your laws are righteous,
     and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 May your unfailing love be my comfort,
     according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
     for your law is my delight.
78 May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause;
     but I will meditate on your precepts.
79 May those who fear you turn to me,
     those who understand your statutes.
80 May I wholeheartedly follow your decrees,
     that I may not be put to shame.
The psalmist uses the fact that he has been made and formed by God as the basis for asking God to help him understand his Word (73). He is a man in affliction caused by other men who unjustly come against him
(78) and who are the enemies of Truth since they reject the Word of God and in their arrogance advance their own plans and the world’s views. In this unjust affliction the psalmist realizes that the creator who formed him with His hands still holds him and has allowed this undeserved affliction through the hands of men (75-76). He counts on God’s unfailing love and compassion to comfort him and allow him to live (76-77). The result will be that other men who fear God will rejoice when they see the psalmist’s deliverance by the hand of God (74). The arrogant who oppose God’s Word will be put to shame (78), while those who renew their minds by meditating on God’s Word will continue to find comfort in the midst of their afflictions (78, 75, 76).


Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: