Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Word is a Weapon of Defense - Zayin - Psalm 119:49-56


Zayin (Verses 49-56)

The letter zayin describes a weapon – most likely, a sword. The word
zayin derives from a root word meaning “sustenance” or “nourishment”.
It includes the concept that to survive and provide for yourself, there are
times you must fight and defend yourself, especially in the area of Truth
and spiritual warfare.
49 Remember your word to your servant,
    for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
   Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully,
    but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws,
    and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked,
    who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song
    wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name,
    that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice:
    I obey your precepts.

The psalmist recognizes that the Word of God provides him with hope (49) in the midst of mocking by the arrogant (51) and the wicked (53). The promises of the Word of God nourish the psalmist with comfort and provide a defensive weapon for the preservation of his life (50). The ancient laws are said to also supply comfort (52). The arrogant and wicked attack this believer’s stance on the Truth, yet he remains faithful (50-52). The arrogant have rejected God’s Word and become wicked, but the indignation of the psalmist preserves his heart. The psalmist continues the practice of remembering the Truth wherever he spends his nights, so the Truth continues to provide his shelter in the night (53-56).



Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: