Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Your Answer is in God's Word - Daleth - Psalm 119:25-32


Daleth (Verses 25-32)

The letter daleth is a symbol of an open door, or a curtain of a tent. In the early days of Israel, doors were hinged in the top corner and this is reflected in the symbol. The word refers to letting something in or finding your way into God. The bent shape of the daleth can also represent a person who is bent over in need. It is said that the “ear” of the letter is leaning toward the letter gimmel, listening for the approach of goodness and loving-kindness.
25 I am laid low in the dust;
   preserve my life according to your word.
26 I gave an account of my ways and you answered me;
   teach me your decrees.
27 Cause me to understand the way of your precepts,
   that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds.
28 My soul is weary with sorrow;
   strengthen me according to your word.
29 Keep me from deceitful ways;
   be gracious to me and teach me your law.
30 I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
   I have set my heart on your laws.
31 I hold fast to your statutes, Lord;
   do not let me be put to shame.
32 I run in the path of your commands,
   for you have broadened my understanding.
The psalmist is troubled because of both his physical (“laid low in dust”) and mental condition (“soul is weary with sorrow”). Yet he knows the answer to his physical problem is in the promises of God’s Word
(“preserve me according to your Word”), and his weary, sorrowful soul can be strengthen by that same Word (“strengthen me according to your word”). In each case, after stating his problem the psalmist asks God to teach him. First, he says “teach me your decrees” and then, “teach me your law”. He states that he has chosen to be faithful by setting his “heart on [God’s] laws” and holding “fast to [God’s] statutes”. These eight verses end with the author rejoicing that, because God has “broadened my understanding” of his Word, he has been enabled to “run in the path of [God’s] commands”. So, the man who was physically low and mentally weary regained his strength and began to run, because God had opened the door of his understanding of the Word – just like he had asked.


Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: