Saturday, December 17, 2011

Production and Rewards of the Word - Nun - Psalm 119:105-112

Nun (Verses 105-112)


The letter nun comes from the image of a fish, tadpole or snake, and means “to propagate, to increase”, “offspring”, and “prosperity”. A fish represents life and activity. It also includes the idea of faithfulness and rewards for faithfulness.


105 Your word is a lamp for my feet,
     a light on my path.
106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it,
     that I will follow your righteous laws.
107 I have suffered much;
     preserve my life, Lord, according to your word.
108 Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth,
     and teach me your laws.
109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands,
     I will not forget your law.
110 The wicked have set a snare for me,
     but I have not strayed from your precepts.
111 Your statutes are my heritage forever;
     they are the joy of my heart.
112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees
     to the very end.


The psalmist recognizes that in order to preserve his life in a world of suffering and snares (107, 110), he must be committed (106) to walking in the light of the Word of God (105). To this end, he has taken and confirmed a vow to follow God’s laws (106). Not only will faithfulness to the Word protect him during his time on earth, but faithfulness to the end (112) will ensure him eternal rewards (“heritage forever” – 111).



Galyn Wiemers
Generation Word
http://www.generationword.com

No comments: